It's up to US, to know ourselves and to attempt to establish healthy relationships. This blog is about all sexes and genders, how we think and what we think. It is a blog about "maybe's" and "what if's". It is a conversation about media awareness, diversity, inclusion, relationships, sex, love and everything in between.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

On Parenting, From Someone With No Kids


DISCLAIMER: Just a couple notes on parenting...from a non-expert. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Your kids aren't the only ones in the entire universe. 
I know they are special - but unfortunately all children are special. I'm sorry to break it to you! I love that your kids are cute and I want to admire that cuteness, but it completely ruins it when the kid knows they can get away with anything just because they are cute! If your kid is rude, their cuteness is only going to go so far. In addition, don't expect every person to give your kid special treatment for things just because it's your kid. They aren't going to get first in line for everything, or be the most popular kid in school.  Believe it or not, your child's teacher is also in charge of 30+ other students (hail to the teachers of the U.S. school systems!). Just have a little consideration, it's all I ask. 



For those who get annoyed at kids who are disruptive in a store or restaurant:
I would like to wipe that smug grin off your face as you look over at the parent and judge them for what their child is doing. How do you know whether they are an adequate parent or not, and who are you to judge? Do you want to come over here and try to explain why this child cannot play battleship with the salt and pepper shakers? Would you like to try to calm the child down yourself, while trying to ignore the burning stares of bystanders around you?  All I have to say is....SHAME ON YOU. Because guess what? You were one of those children at one point in your life. I will bet you 18,000 dollars that you once had a tantrum when you were four because your mother made you eat the last bite of creamed corn at Sizzler and you didn't want to.  You KNOW that you screamed and plopped yourself down on the floor of Toys R' Us because your mom would only let you have one Polly Pocket instead of two. So next time you give someone an annoyed look because their child is being loud, think again. I swear, next time I see someone giving a look to a child like that I will call them out and tell them to get off their "I'm an adult and I pretend children don't exist" high horse. 


Is it really necessary for your kid to participate in 12 different extracurricular activities?
Soccer on Wednesdays. Karate on Monday afternoon. Saturday baseball games. Dance class on Thursdays. Oh yes, and don't forget swimming lessons, chess lessons, horseback riding lessons, English tutoring, *insert foreign language* class, Tennis lessons, Girl Scouts, gymnastics, and cooking class. Just because all of these wonderful options are available for kids doesn't mean they need to do ALL of them simultaneously. How is a kid supposed to be able to retain anything they learn in school if they get home and are immediately shipped to another activity? Kids need rest, sleep and not to be bogged down with a million different things at once. That's just my opinion, but I'm sure there is some empirical research out there that supports me :)


If your kid is having behavioral problems, deal with them instead of figuring out who to blame. 
You have the power to create the boundaries and support your child's needs to improve their behavioral problems. It's not their teachers, siblings, nannies or friends fault - it's yours. Even if their behavioral problems are due to a biological disorder it is your responsibility to get them the help they need! Putting them on an organic diet with no sugar isn't going to make a difference, despite how much hope you put into that alternative. Telling them they can't watch anymore TV also isn't going to make a change. I don't even recommend just shipping the kid off to therapist and expecting the therapist to figure it out. Child therapy requires 100% parent contribution and involvement. Take responsibility for your spawn people!



Don't let technology raise your children.
It's so tempting isn't it? When they are throwing food at each other across the table and screaming at the top of their lungs, the idea of just plopping them in front of an episode of, "Dora the Explorer" sounds so enticing. Okay, maybe Dora was a bad choice. Today we have so many forms of technology to distract children: game consoles, IPADs, the Itouch, the internet. It's so easy to let these forms of technology do the parenting instead of getting involved. I admire parents who play imaginative games with their children, paint with them and read with them. It's such a rewarding experience to teach a child something in an active way. The library is the most amazing place in the world for kids! Don't underestimate the power of a wonderful book in a child's life. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for teaching a kid how to play "angry birds" --- All I ask is that you balance that out with a ritual evening bedtime story reading session and I will be quite satisfied!


Please don't let me see another one of your kids in a rated "R" movie again.
I recently had an experience where I watched two different movies in a weekend, both rated "R", and had the displeasure of seeing preschool aged children in the theater with their parents. REALLY? I'm pretty sure that this experience is what sparked this blog post. This is just NOT okay no matter how you want to explain it to me. There is absolutely nothing right about taking a child to a movie where the first scene has nudity and profanity in it. I don't care if they are 4 years old, they hear EVERYTHING and they understand EVERYTHING! In fact, according to Erikson's stages of psychosocial development, children between the ages of 3-5 are exploring the world and copying everything they see in order to re-enact that and take "initiative" of their own. Is this what you want your child to copy? I'm sorry if you couldn't find a babysitter or can't afford one, but you still had to pay for the child to get in the theater and for the tub of buttery popcorn sitting in their lap. In my opinion, a person who subjects their child to something beyond their maturity level is a selfish human being who shouldn't have been allowed to have children in the first place. 


Maybe I'll write another follow up blog one day after I have children....until then, thanks for reading.

I'd love to hear any additions, comments or concerns about my anger regarding the welfare of the future generation.

:)

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Colleen said...

My cousin is one of those people who has her kids doing nine million activities. And my youngest sister was a three when I entered high school, so I know from firsthand experience that sometimes kids just throw tantrums or lose their cool out of nowhere in public places. They can't help it, they have the attention span of a teaspoon. If I could add something it would be: If you need to buy clothes, please be aware of the time your child goes down for a nap. If they get cranky around that time, common sense would dictate that you ought to not be buying clothes at THAT exact moment.

FemmeDeBloom said...

Colleen - Thanks so much for commenting and reading! Your feedback is awesome - You have a great point about it being a parents responsibility to know their child's patterns and cycles - taking a kid shopping when they are need of a nap sounds like a nightare!!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog a lot. At the beginning, it put a smile on my face and towards the end of the blog the smile turned into a cringe!!! As a mother of two, I have experience with kids, and I also know showing R rated movies with sexual themes and nudity is a form of child abuse by itself.
What made me cringe is that every parent with a right mind knows that.
I hate to think people who show this kind of movies to kids are abusers. No excuse accepted!!
Thanks for caring for your society!

Anonymous said...

An оutѕtanding shаre! I've just forwarded this onto a co-worker who had been doing a little homework on this. And he actually bought me lunch due to the fact that I found it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this topic here on your website.
Visit my web blog Ferrari Watches