It's up to US, to know ourselves and to attempt to establish healthy relationships. This blog is about all sexes and genders, how we think and what we think. It is a blog about "maybe's" and "what if's". It is a conversation about media awareness, diversity, inclusion, relationships, sex, love and everything in between.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Music Spotlight: What Connor Oberst Taught Me About Relationships

Not everyone is a fan of the band "Bright Eyes" or their lead singer, Connor Oberst, and to be honest I don't blame anyone for it. His musical style and voice isn't for everyone, and most people I meet either love the band or hate them. I fell in love with them in my late teens - early 20s, during a time of misplaced angst and exploration. I listened to Bright Eyes when I was sad, happy, angry, heartbroken and in love.  The poetry, widsom, and insight on human relationships featured in every Bright Eyes song is what will keep them on my "Top 3" bands list forever! Since I love them so much I thought I'd share some of my favorite song quotes, without commentary. I think they speak for themselves.

On Love......



"First Day of My Life" Album: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
 
"How grateful I was then to be part of the mystery; To love and be loved. Let's just hope that is enough."
-Let's Not Sh*t Ourselves (To Love and Be Loved) Album: Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground




On Heartbreak....

"But you, but you, you write such pretty words. Well life's no story book. Love's an excuse to get hurt, and to hurt. Do you like to hurt? I do. I do. Then hurt me."
Lover I Don't Have to Love - Album: Lifted


"But if you stay too long inside my memory, I will trap you in a song tied to a melody, and I will keep you there so you can't bother me."
Take it Easy (Love Nothing) - Album: Digital Ash in A Digital Urn

"If you walk away, I'll walk away. First tell me which road you will take. I don't want to risk our paths crossing someday. So you walk away, I'll walk this way."
Land Locked Blues - Album: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning




On Life.....

"So I go back and forth forever,
All my thoughts they come in pairs,
Oh I will, I won't, I doubt, I don't.
I’m not surprised, but I never feel quite prepared."
Another Travelin' Song - Album: I'm Wide Awake. It's Morning.



"Id rather be working for a paycheck, than waiting to win the lottery."
"First Day of My Life" - Album: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

"First Day of My Life" - Album: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning


"If you hate the taste of wine, Why do you drink it 'til you’re blind?
And if you swear that there’s no truth
and who cares.
How come you say it like you’re right?"
We Are Nowhere, And It's Now. - Album: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning


On Sadness:

"Now and again it seems worse than it is, but mostly the view is accurate."
Something Vague - Album: Fevers And Mirrors


"So that's how I learned the lesson, that everyone's alone, and your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow."
 A Bowl of Oranges - Album: Lifted


"Hold your sadness like a puppet, 
keep putting on the play.
But everything you do is leading to the point
where you just won't know what to do.
And at that moment you may laugh
but there is someone there who will be laughing louder than you."
Sunrise, Sunset - Album: Fevers and Mirrors (2000)


On Happiness....


"'Cause if I can't make myself feel better, how am I supposed to expect anyone else to give a sh*t."
If Winter Ends - Album: Letting Off The Happiness




"The Joy in Forgetting / The Joy in Acceptance"



Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First day of my life is my fav! although sometimes i do play the lottery....
nice post mel!