It's up to US, to know ourselves and to attempt to establish healthy relationships. This blog is about all sexes and genders, how we think and what we think. It is a blog about "maybe's" and "what if's". It is a conversation about media awareness, diversity, inclusion, relationships, sex, love and everything in between.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Has cheating become socially acceptable? Let's Ask Kristen Stewart.

DISCLAIMER: The idea for this blog post was inspired by the movie "Breaking Dawn" (yes TWILIGHT). Let's do this.


I recently went to see the final installment of the Twilight Saga and I have to say I enjoyed every minute of the corny dialogue, prolonged dramatics, and Kristen Stewart's pubescent awkwardness. I really did. My only complaint was that Taylor Lautner only took off his shirt once. What a disgrace! Meh...he's kind of lost his charm now that he's entered into borderline pedophilia land. I know it's a Quillette thing, but I still can't digest the idea. 

Okay moving on for those who aren't TwiHards.....Toward the end of the film Bella and Edward have this sappy romantic moment where she says how much she loves him and I had this uncontrollable urge to yell, "CHEATER!!!!" I fought my urge until her photo came on during the end credits and I just had to yell it. I'm pretty sure no one cared. 

And that's my problem. No one cared...because no one even remembers that she cheated on the poor dude with some old saggy married director man. I am not a huge follower of celebrity gossip, but there was no way I could escape the news of her infidelity. I felt like the story was broadcasted as much as the death of Michael Jackson (FYI Society: MJs Death > Bella cheating on Edward). In response to my turmoil, my friend (THANKS GILDA!) made an observation about how they got back together and people have pretty much forgotten about the whole discretion. 

It started to get me thinking about how publicized cheating is in the celebrity world, and how it's forgotten about so easily. Need a reminder? Tiger Woods, Hugh Grant (see picture ha ha ha), Jesse James (HOW DARE YOU CHEAT ON SANDRA!!), David Letterman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ryan Phillipe, Jude Law on Sienna Miller, then Sienna Miller on some guy....okay I need to stop because I said I didn't follow celebrities and I'm starting to make myself look like a liar. Anyway, Did anyone even remember that Letterman cheated? I completely forgot until I started making a mental list for this blog. I guess it's easy to forget, but does that mean its forgiven? Is this evidence that cheating is socially accepted in America?

Here's a couple ideas:
  • Maybe it's not quite socially acceptable to cheat, but it is socially acceptable to exploit the the behavior of another person and almost glorify their "infamous-ness." Why are negative stories publicized more than positive ones? For once, I'd like to see a prolonged broadcast about people making a positive impact on society instead of the latest Tiger Woods mistress to come out of the woodwork.

  • Is cheating only acceptable when the person is famous? Do we just forgive celebrities/ political figures easier because of their rank in society? Bill Clinton dirtied it up with Monica Lewinski, but people still remember him as a good President, especially now with all the financial issues in the U.S. Another prominent figure I think of is JFK....he committed literally hundreds of infidelities and yet he is still glorified as a wonderful president. For some reason, prominent figures in society seem to get excused for most bad behavior, and it's not O.K.

  • Finally, maybe cheating has become so publicized and we hear about it so often, that we have become desensitized to it. Maybe subconsciously we have been convinced that cheating is normal because "everyone does it" these days. To quote my mother, "So if EVERYONE was jumping off a bridge, would you too?" 


I encourage everyone who reads this to take some time to really ponder your view of infidelity and how its presented in society. Yes, cheating happens but it should never be socially acceptable under any circumstance. On that note, I'm still upset with Kristen Stewart because Edward's a good guy okay!!!  He risked his immortality for you and look how you repay him!!!! Plus who doesn't want a guy who glitters in the sun, doesn't sleep and constantly maintains an insanely low body temperature? 

So long Twihards. This will be my only twilight inspired post EVER. I hope....








Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Ryan said...

First off, while I do think Kristen Stewart is a disgusting skank, and the term "Trampire" is very fitting, I find it a bit disturbing that the media only focused on her, and that pale dude w/ the weird face. How it's "all her fault" and how awful she is, etc etc . And while that is true, why no mention of the Director, who is an even bigger dirtbag because he's married and has children. To me, this is more disgusting than Stewart, is it not? Stewart is simply another over-rated celebrity who likes to fuck, but she's not married, nor does she have any children. Isn't it strange that as a society, we only talk about how the WOMAN is at fault? For the woman, this is an act of atrocity and utter repulsiveness...but the behavior of a married man w/ a family...doesn't see the light of day. Sure, Kristen Stewart is more famous and the media knew that the eruption from the public would be far bigger when focusing on her....but shit, it seems a bit backwards.

I think "normal" people, such as ourselves, simply expect celebrities to fuck around. It's like they have a special hall-pass to do so. How many years does a standard celebrity marriage last? But the trickle-down of this is that it's becoming more "the norm" for people to cheat on each other because of the highlighted celebrity world.

And going back to this Director guy (see, I don't even know his name), I think it's so sad and pathetic that he ruined his marriage and family for someone who is freaking disgusting. Kristen Stewart looks like a coke fiend who hasn't seen the sun, or food, in weeks. She is so gross I can hardly stand it. Of course, he'd be a douche no matter who he banged, but in the wise words of Arrested Development, "Her?"

Unknown said...

haha good post. I hope that the rumors were true that robert only got back with her for publicity and that once twilight has died down he'll leave her sorry BH!

Colleen said...

I don't want to believe cheating is socially acceptable, because it shouldn't be. I honestly don't know what I would do if my significant other cheated on me. I know I would be deeply pissed off and hurt that they did it, but I don't know if I could forgive them or kick their butt to the curb. I said Robert was an idiot for taking her back, because he could do so much better.