It's up to US, to know ourselves and to attempt to establish healthy relationships. This blog is about all sexes and genders, how we think and what we think. It is a blog about "maybe's" and "what if's". It is a conversation about media awareness, diversity, inclusion, relationships, sex, love and everything in between.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Let's Talk...About Talking: Men, Women and Words


Alright ladies, girls, women – admit it, we love to talk and we know it. Based on my conversations with male friends and significant others in the past, I hypothesized that for every 100 words a female speaks, a male speaks 10. Then I did some research.  I found an article that estimates that women talk three times more than men do (Read More). The article proposes that women speak “up to 20,000 words in a day - 13,000 more than the average man.” Holy moley! The article adds, and this gave me a chuckle, “Women also speak more quickly, devote more brainpower to chit-chat - and actually get a buzz out of hearing their own voices.” Ba ha! I believe it. 


Buzz buzz buzz.

I’ve come across some men in my lifetime who could definitely talk it up. But as a generalization (I do a lot of generalizing on this blog don’t I?) women tend to use more words than men. In my experience as a woman and with my female counterparts, we use talking to benefit our well-being. It is a form of therapy, an expression of emotion, a way to “vent” and so much more. There are so many times in my life where I’ve been down in the dumps, called one of my close friends, laughed about some inside jokes and my mood was immediately lifted! That’s also probably because I have an addiction to collecting inside jokes. ;)  

Talking is also a way of nurturing our minds without the need for coming up with a “solution” or a “fix” to the problem.  A quote from an article in Psychology today highlights the difference between men and women and the use of talking: “To a woman, the conveying of the "story" is as important as the story itself, but most men don't care about the details! They want to get to the bottom of things.” (See full article)

In my opinion, females are also experts at non-verbal communication - words are only a fraction of what we are truly communicating. Our voices, eye contact, facial expressions, gestures, and body language tell how we feel or what we are thinking, sometimes more than words can possibly express. Unfortunately, non-verbal communication can be even more powerful than words and can be used in manipulative ways, which enters dangerous territory. And remember, just because women have this acute ability to non-verbally communicate it doesn’t mean that all of men’s non-verbal cues should be analyzed, because half the time (or possibly more than that)   THEY MEAN NOTHING. 

Alright, so we get it…….we talk too much ok? I’m sorry I can’t help it, I am a woman and I have all these words in my head I need to get OUT! 

While doing research on the “talking imbalance” between men and women, I came across some other very interesting research and came up with a conclusion: Men may not talk as much as women, but what they lack in words they make up for with thoughts about sex

Yup, I said it.

 Per research from the Kinsey institute at Indiana University, “54% of men think about sex at least every day, 43% think about it a few times a week or month, and 4% once a month or less.” In contrast, “19% of women think about sex everyday or several times a day, 67% a few times per month or a few times per week, and 14% less than once a month” 19% versus 54% - although its not as drastic as some have estimated (“Men think of sex every 7 seconds FALSE), it is apparent that men think about it a lot more than women do.

So can I propose a compromise? We’ll (I speak for women of America) accept that fact that you (men of America) think about sex all the dang time if you will just let us talk and/or ramble on about things you may not necessarily care too much about every now and then. I propose a little swap of understanding, that’s all I’m sayin! 

I’ll end this post with three thoughts of the day to ponder:
·  Men and women THINK differently
·  Men and women SPEAK differently
·  Men and women DECIDE differently

And….that’s a wrap. Thanks again for reading my little blog friends!

 Here's a funny comic to end the day with....








 

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose it would just be easier to be gay...

But in all seriousness, this is a good post. For me, a man, when I was younger I found myself thinking this a lot, "My God, will she ever stop talking? Hey, you, stop for a second. Please, stop. Seriously, stop talking." I think young men don't have the attention span to actually listen to a woman. Sure, they hear the words, but they aren't listening.

To be honest, there weren't many women in my lifetime that I had enough interest in to actually listen to what they were saying. But the other side: there are also guys who I could care less about what they had to say..and I wouldn't "listen" to them either. (Most of you are probably thinking I will live a nice long life alone.)

However, I am getting married next year and I have learned a considerable amount in the last couple of years about communication and listening. (I am currently 25 years old..) I am genuinely interested in what my girlfriend has to say and I actually care about how her day went. And I enjoy hearing her talk about the various things she did that day. (She's also a Psychology Grad Student like our Blog Creator here...so there's an infinite number of interesting stories on a day to day basis) And I "listen" to her. I don't just nod my head and mumble "Uh huh"..or "Ohhh yaaa" ...but I respond and I am engaged in our conversations.

Communication is so important in relationships and if you aren't interested in communicating with your significant other on a day to day basis then you're probably not in the right relationship.

With that being said...there are times where I have to set boundaries on when the talking gets to be a little excessive. If I am in the middle of a movie, or a TV show, or a hockey game, or am really tired and trying to go to sleep...and she ignites a stream of consciousness, fast lane conversation, I have found ways to politely shorten the potential 30 min. conversation.

My past self would say, "Hey, I'm watching the game, can this wait a while?"

My current self does this, "Pause the game (thank you DVR) and listen to what she has to say. This has a great result because she sees that I paused the game, which shows I care about what she's about to say...but it also shows that I want to watch the game, so she makes the effort to be quick and precise. It's a form of compromise.

(This is just one example)

While writing this post, I thought about sex 14 times.

FemmeDeBloom said...

"Communication is so important in relationships and if you aren't interested in communicating with your significant other on a day to day basis then you're probably not in the right relationship." That's probably one of the smartest things I've heard a guy say.

Your comment gives me hope. Because honestly that's all a woman could really ask for...a little compromise. And I think the example you gave about the way of dealing with it is perfect, it's not rude and it won't cause an argument. Plus women really need to be aware that men have limits...that's just the way we're wired (at least, most of us).

I'm going to go read your comment again, haha.

While writing this reply to your comment I thought of sex...um....

okay I'm lying I didn't think of it at all ;)

Carrie Tisthammer said...

the only chapter i remember from my college linguistics class was based on this!... and apparently it was important enough to devote a whole chapter to it. comparing the different communication styles of men and women was as important (apparently) as comparing different comunication styles and languages of other cultures. that in itself is pretty significant ;) just a thought... <3